Friday, August 13, 2010

Fix it Friday: Wickedly Lemon Hummus

Hummus is one of those foods that maybe you dollop on your plate at the salad bar, or pick up in the deli section at the grocery store. Depending on the store, it can be pretty expensive. Plus, when you don't know what's going into it exactly, this "healthy" dip can take an ugly turn towards high fat and calories. So today let's make our own, let's put in exactly what we want, and let's make it healthy.

Start with a can of Garbanzo Beans or Chickpeas. I'll admit they're a little creepy looking when you get this close to them, so put them in the blender, or the biggest container of your Magic Bullet (which I am obsessed with!) and let's just move on to the next step.

Add around 1/3 cup of olive oil to your beans. I think I used a little less, so whatever you prefer.

Add 3 cloves of garlic, it's quite a bit, so do whatever your taste buds want you to.

Then squeeze the juice from 3 baby lemons.  I told you it was "wickedly lemony." Strain it so you don't get any of the seeds. Add some salt too.

Blend it all up until it's nice and smooth. Did I mention I love my Magic Bullet? Just checking.

Load it up in a serving bowl and sprinkle in some Italian seasoning, chill and dig in! It's really good with veggies, chicken, on sandwiches, or my favorite, warm pita bread. It's yum, it's healthy, it's easy. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...