Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Greek Slaw

So if you haven't noticed I do a lot of Italian/Greek inspired dishes. This is for 2 reasons: One we love that kind of food, and two we do a lot of bulk, Costco shopping...so if you notice a trend of feta cheese and kalamata olives it's because I have a huge thing of them in my fridge.

Back to this week's recipe. Greek Slaw! Sounds kind of ugly when you say it out loud, but until I come up with something better this is it.

We've been trying to eat more veggies and when I saw cucumbers were only $.20 each I loaded up my basket with 5 of them. Fast forward to me being home and clueless as to what to do with 5 cucumbers! I love Tzatziki sauce, you know that cucumber sauce that comes on Gyros? Well I wanted to do something inspired by that, but was more veggie than saucy. If that makes any sense at all.

 
First of all I started peeling the cucumbers. The skin doesn't really bother me, but for what I wanted to do, I thought I should. It was actually pretty therapeutic.

Then I got out my new handy grater. Only 5 bucks from Ikea. Is it wrong to plan a whole meal around getting to use a new kitchen gadget? I say gadget like it's some new life changing product. It's a grater, they've been around forever! But I didn't have one, so I was pretty pumped.

So grate up all 5 cucumbers. They are extremely watery so make sure you're okay with your prep area getting wet. As you go, put the grated cucumber in a strainer and sort of push the water out. I actually put a mixing bowl under my colander to catch all the cucumber water.

Yum, huh? If you want you can save yours too and use if for this refreshing project.

Chop up about 20 kalamata olives and put them in a mixing bowl along with the cucumbers.

Add in about 5oz. of cherry tomatoes, or how ever many you want. You can make this as veggie light or heavy as you like. 

Traditional Tzatziki sauce is made with Greek yogurt. Which is delicious, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used sour cream mix with a little goat cheese.

Then generously mix in oregano and dill. Two very important spices for getting that "Greek" taste. 

Mix it all together. Pretty simple.

Coat some chicken breasts with olive oil and season with dill weed and oregano. This is just to continue with the Greek flavors and make everything flow taste-wise. Then grill it up, either on a Foreman, skillet or actual grill.

Then dice it all up! 

After you cut up all the chicken you should think about how you want to serve/eat what you're making. Actually, you should think about it before because you'll be wishing you had some pitas, and instead all you have are Triscuits. I admit it, I frequently embark on a new dish with little, or no idea as to how it will turn out. Turns out the Triscuits were really good with it and made it a really fun dinner!

This is how I served it. I piled up the Greek slaw in the center of the plate, topped it with the chopped chicken, added the Triscuits in a circle just to be festive and garnished with a little feta cheese.
It turned out really good! We had fun with the appetizer-ish dinner and had a ton of leftovers (duh, 2 people vs. 5 cucumbers!) The next night we ended up grilling burgers and instead of lettuce, cheese and all that I just topped mine with this slaw and it made a pretty excellent Greek burger. 

Try it out for yourself, it makes a good dinner, and would be good for entertaining too. Also, if you have pitas around stuff 'em with it and let me know how it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...